Friday 10 October 2014

Interlocking Self Closing Mock Rings Tutorial

I took some photos as I tatted the interlocking SCMRs. 
This is how I tat them. 


The 3rd SCMR tatted

Use a crochet hook to bring the SCMR loop from bottom up the previous ring

Pull the core thread so that the chain is pulled up through the previous ring.
The chain will be twisted here.

Turn the work so that the chain is not twisted before closing the ring.
You do this by passing the core thread shuttle under the work.
Above photo shows after the turn is done.
Pass core shuttle through the loop to close the ring.

After closing the ring, make a lock stitch.
I do this by tatting the second half of the double stitch without flipping the thread.




After tatting the last SCMR, arrange all the rings so that they appear as above.



Holding the remaining rings, pass the SCMR loop up the previous ring and turn work as before to untwist the chain and floating ring.



Pass the SCMR loop through the first ring.




Pass the core thread shuttle through the SCMR loop



Close the SCMR and tie a knot.




Anchor the thread to the thread gap between 1st and 2nd rings before tying another knot and finish.



Interlocking SCMRs done.

I just noticed that two of the rings above were not interlocking correctly (rings at south and south east directions).

This is because the SCMR loop was put through a flipped 1st ring during the closure of the last ring.

It should look like the photo below instead. Note position of the first ring compared to the previous. 





Now this is the correctly done.


11 comments:

  1. So for the last ring, the SCMR loop has to be passed through TWO rings? - the previous one and the first one? Thank you for this, I will be referring to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you clever? Your pictures are perfect and clear! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done your photos and how to do it, it looks so easy the way you have described it. Thank you
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I love this technique but can't seem to master it. Practice, practice, practice is on my weekend schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm. Maybe I was doing it wrongly! I might just start over....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this tutorial. You make it look so possible. I will not be able to join the tat along at this time but am watching it closely. I've tried and not been happy with my Interlocking rings in the past but think you've changed that for me. Many thanks. Karen in OR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you thank you thank you! I have been trying to figure this out to make this pretty doily, and I am thankful to have another "how to do it" resource! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb pictorial !
    I had learned this technique from Sue's pictorial, and after my own initial error, found this to be the easiest way to make interlocking rings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So neat! You are wonderful! Thank you so much for this tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy the photos helped.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! What an cool idea to use mock rings as interlocking rings, it opens up many new design possibilities. Thank you for posting this excellent tutorial.

    ReplyDelete